Shopping for vintage items can get a little tricky.
When a certain style or period gets popular, items belonging to it are often reproduced.
Here are a few tips to help you be a knowledgeable vintage buyer:
- Look at the entire piece. Does it have wear marks that would correlate to normal use?
- Look for duplicates of the same piece. If you notice more than one, of what should be a hard to find item, it’s probably being reproduced.
- Look for intact stickers or marks. Is it an old company you recognize? Are they now out of business?
- If it’s marked “Made in Japan”. That would likely indicate it was made during the mid century.
- Look around in stores that sell new home furnishings. You’ll quickly see what’s being made new, to look like the old stuff. Best education ever!